Monday, March 21, 2011

Mediterranean Table a cliff adventure

I've moved far beyond the photos above, it's mavelous what a difference a day makes. The strata lines looked pretty poor so I made a wedge out of compressed foil a bit like an axe head. This I pressed into the DAS as opposed to dragging a blade over the face of the DAS this gave a much better effect. I'm still amazed just how well the crunched up foil works to texture the surface, very impressive. The other huge supprise was the rock molds with the DAS the plyable nature of the DAS allows the molded rock to be distorted to match the surface of the job. I did find that I had to add a release agent to the mold to get the DAS out easer and in a bette shape, I ended up using a olive oil cooking spray to great effect. It's been funny how I've gone from just about giving up to creating one of my more enjoyable terrain features, I cannot what for the painting to start.
There is features that I like and dislike about this section. The rocky out crops will lift when painted I'm sure and what I don't like I can always hide with bushes and grass tuffs.
Photobucket
The lower part of the switch back road looked a bit bland so I hacked out a gully and inserted a curved retaining wall to spice it up. Just have to modle the gully now. May even fit a drain/culvet into this section yet for some extra detail and interest.
Photobucket
I decided after the fact to break up the rock faces on this section with a few retaining walls I'm pretty happy with the effect as well.
Photobucket
The foil effect really is effective and you can achieve so many diffent effects by just getting different textures in the foil. I'm so glad I asked for alittle help on the forums.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Here is some pics of where I'm at
Photobucket
This is the 1st of 4 sections that I have in mind that will be interconnect to form differnt combinations. This 1st secton is for the monastry/ruined Keep that will dominate it. The switch back road is the only approach on the section. This will be the domain of Mountain troops and for once they will be usefull.
Photobucket
It's a long way to the top
Photobucket
I've framed all the edges in timber as shown here and I've butted them all up and sanded them flush with their respective neighbouring sections.
Photobucket
I'll be able to insert different terrain features into the top using the Hex system from UTTT.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment