Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Eastern Front Rail Head.

This seemed like a logical reason for a village to spring up and a worthy reason for a company level operation to seize it. I set about building a rail line which grew to a rail head over the Xmas time off. 3mm MDF base and some timber beading for the rail embankment keeping it nice and simple. I kept enough room on the side of the base for a track to run alonside the rail lines. I needed a point for roads to cross the lines so I modeled a rail head as a point of interest, and to enable a few buildings to spice it up.
Photobucket
12mm foam gave the right hight and some bamboo kerbab sticks looked good for some retaining walls around it. I carved a couple of ramps and left enough room on top for one of the barns as a warehouse. Simply PVA glued the sticks to the foam and added some match sticks as the uprights to dizzy it up.
Photobucket
Gave it a very generous coat of texture paint.
Photobucket
and inked the retaining wall.
Photobucket
some drybrushing and it was looking good.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
I needed some way for the road to cross the line so I decided to shave some balsa wood stips and glue them on as ramps then build the road up to it. It looks good and rough.
Photobucket
and with the other rail sections
Photobucket
Photobucket
I'm planning on this table being very portable so with that in mind I will be using a games mat. Due to the colour of the static grass on the mat it is a tuff match but I got pretty close with a blend of Heiki grasses.
Photobucket

Photobucket
These little odd secions allow me to have the rail line on an angle on the table.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment